How to Apply
We have an annual recruitment process for IGGI studentships, but also welcome self-funded applications throughout the year. Students start at the beginning of the academic year (September each year).
Research theme and supervisor
Select a lead supervisor at one of the three IGGI institutions: York, Essex and Goldsmiths.
Check the list of potential IGGI supervisors, listed with their research interests, and contact those that most closely match the research you would like to undertake. If you are unable to identify a supervisor, then please check our research themes to see if your proposed research sits within one of these areas.
Make contact with potential supervisors directly, or we can help you to choose a principal supervisor from York, Essex or Goldsmiths based on your interests and background.
Have an informal chat with your potential supervisor, and this will help you to formulate your research proposal needed for your application.
Complete your application
Email IGGI at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following documents as attachments:
- Academic transcripts of previous degrees. Please include degree certificates and formal transcripts of your academic record, providing full details of the degrees, classes, grades you have obtained and the units you have taken. If your degree result is still pending, please include an interim transcript.
- Your statement of planned research, that identifies either a potential supervisor or one of the IGGI Research Themes. Your statement of planned research needs to outline the nature of your proposed study and give some indication of how you will conduct your research. It should be about 350 word in length. It must be in English and be your own words.
- Your CV, to give further background information on your prior experience and qualifications.
- Evidence of your programming skills, either through your qualifications, previous employment, or examples of games you have developed.
- If you are an overseas applicant, please include evidence of your English language ability. We have set a minimum English language proficiency level of 6.5 in the IELTS test, with at least 6.0 in each component, or a TOEFL score of 87 with a minimum of 21 in each component.
Once your application has been received, we will contact you within two working days to confirm receipt and advise the next steps and timing of the ongoing application process.
If you need to contact us directly, further contact details can be found on our contacts page.
Each year, IGGI offers up to 11 fully-funded studentships across the three institutions. The application process opens in September with final submission deadline at 23:59 GMT on 31st January, for entry onto the programme starting in September.
As long as you apply before the 31st January deadline, using the process described above (Stages 1-4), you will be considered for a funded studentship automatically.
The funded studentship covers tuition fees and an annual £14,553 tax and national insurance free stipend at 2017/18 rates (with an increase for London Weighting for students at Goldsmiths), as well as an additional allowance to cover the travel and accommodation required by the demands of the IGGI programme, subject to EPSRC eligibility criteria.
There is substantial competition for IGGI studentships, and we encourage good students to begin discussions with potential supervisors as early as possible.
It is also possible to apply to the IGGI programme as a self-funded student or with funding from another source. Please be aware that you will need to be able to prove that you have the funding to cover the tuition fees, living costs, and the additional travel and accommodation costs required for this course.
Tuition fees vary according to your fee status and to which institution you are applying. To discuss living costs, tuition fees and additional programme costs, please contact IGGI Manager, Jo Maltby (email@example.com).
If you wish to apply as a self-funded student, the deadline for applications is Friday 28th April 2017. Applications should still be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org with all the documents listed above.